Vidyanext's business model seemed to be unviable towards mid 2017. Though we had put in a lot of work in the last year, the numbers just didn't make sense to continue supporting an ecosystem of 3 apps. While trying to figure out a direction, we tried a few ideas, though brief and never went into production, I think they were worth a mention. I was responsible in creating these designs and doing some user testing around them.
The current Teach app assisted the teachers in creating & assigning tests, creating practice tests,
quizzes and recording marks received by students. We did make the job of creating tests slightly
less cumbersome by generating tests based on teacher input, solving for correcting the tests was
something that was difficult.
After talking to teachers/tutors, these were what we were solving for:
A. How can I reward students who make improvements
B. How do I control disruptive students
There are two common types of motivation - intrinsic (from within) and extrinsic (external).
"Motivating students to learn in school is a topic of great concern for educationist
today and motivating students so that they can succeed in school is one of the greatest challenges
of this century (Awan, Noureen & Nas, 2011). Getting students to learn and sustaining their interest
in what they are learning therefore should be the sole objective of teachers in the classroom.""
"According to Benabou and Tirole (2003), extrinsic motivation promotes effort and performance with rewards serving as positive reinforces for the desired behavior. Extrinsic motivation typically produces immediate results and requires less effort in comparison to intrinsic motivation (Ryan & Deci, 2000)."
We made the assumption that adding some form of extrinsic motivation would help students learn in the short term and improve student behaviour, making the class more manageable.
Sample user flow
We did do an initial round of testing, though I don't have the videos / spreadsheet of findings. But we
went to tutors and filmed them using the prototype. We let them use it on their own without any help and
asked them what they thought the app does and went into detail of each screen.
Since we wanted to get as much feedback as possible we trained the sales team when they went to meet teachers/tutors, to run these interviews (through a script), by demo-ing and rehearsing it with them.
This didn't result in any conclusive evidence. But it was evident that the sales team were very capable of doing user testing for the design team given the right tools and guidance.
This was a short exercise we did in March 2018. I helped facilitate a three day exercise that
followed the design sprint format to solve for the problem statement: "Determining the effectiveness
of student practice in terms of accuracy and speed/quantum".
With our small team we had a few people from the engineer, QA, and product management teams. At this point, we didn't have a sales team to include in this.
You can view the slides from the design sprint here.
These were the questions we came up with for validating with students:
These were the outcomes* of user testing:
User testing questions
Screens used in the prototype